Access to affordable and quality health care is the foundation of building strong and thriving communities. This means that everyone deserves access to health care no matter where they live, work, or play. We support legislation that will:
- Stop the imposition of Medicaid work requirements and cost-sharing provisions.
- Ensure that health insurance plans sold in Virginia cannot discriminate based on health status and must cover the ten essential health benefits outlined in the Affordable Care Act.
- Cover doula and midwifery services for Medicaid beneficiaries to help reduce the number of Black maternal and infant deaths.
- Provide targeted support to increase the number of women of color who obtain medical, nursing, doula, or midwifery, education or credentials.
- Eliminate Virginia’s 40-quarters rule.
- Increase access to health coverage and services for undocumented immigrants.
- Codify in state law the reproductive health rights guaranteed through Roe v. Wade.
- Establish a single-payer health insurance program that provides access to health coverage for all Virginians, regardless of immigration status.
- Increase support for HIV treatment and prevention services, including educating healthcare providers and patients about pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP).