We believe that a fair and just criminal justice system ensures that law enforcement officers are accountable to their communities, there are more community-based alternatives to incarceration, poverty is decriminalized, and returning citizens have a fair shot to succeed. We support legislation that will:
- End cash bail, fees, and fines for pretrial services, and reduce pretrial detention.
- Raise the felony larceny threshold from $500 to $1,500.
- Increase community-based alternatives to youth and adult incarceration.
- Repeal mandatory minimum sentencing and reinstate discretionary parole.
- Decriminalize marijuana and expunge charges from individual records.
- Create or strengthen the independent and civilian review of local police departments to increase transparency and community accountability.
- Increase support for local reentry programs to reduce recidivism and facilitate a successful transition back into society.
- End the privatization of Virginia’s prison system.