Voting for the first time on primary day, June 12th? Here are step-by-step instructions to vote -- feel free to print out, mark your calendar and get prepared!
- Find your polling place.
- Arrive at your polling place between 6am and 7pm.
- Show one of the photo IDs listed here. *Note If you don't have one of these forms of ID you can apply for a FREE Virginia Voter Photo Identification by going to your nearest registrar’s office in Virginia.
- The worker at the polling place will check your ID and check the voter rolls -- which are the list of voters they have for your polling place.
- Once they verify that you’re on the list, they’ll ask you which primary ballot you’d like to vote on. Usually it’s a choice between Democratic and Republican ballots.
- You’ll take your ballot to a polling booth where you can make your choice privately.
- Use the provided pen or marker to make your choice.
- When you’re ready, take your ballot to the poll worker and they’ll help you slide your ballot into a machine.
- You’ve voted!
*Note:If you haven't registered to vote yet, the deadline to register to vote in the primary election on June 12 has passed. BUT you can still register in order to vote in November! In Virginia, elections happen every year, so it’s never a bad time to register to vote!