New Virginia Majority is the catalytic force for the progressive transformation of Virginia through mass organizing, leadership development, and strategic communications. We are creating a powerful movement that transforms Virginia by organizing communities of color, women, working people, LGBTs, youth and progressive people. Through continuous purposeful and strategic activity, we will create a Virginia that is democratic, just and sustainable.
New Virginia Majority Education Fund has visited over 250,000 voters and developed into Virginia’s leading progressive civic engagement organization. Our staff, hundreds of canvassers and volunteer leaders are building a powerful movement for a democratic, just and sustainable Virginia.
Each Fall we visit tens of thousands of voters to develop a popular culture of active, informed and progressive voting, especially among Virginia’s lower income and people of color communities. However, we don’t stop there! We organize through ongoing leadership trainings, legislative campaigns (local, state, and national), voter registration, and social media organizing.
The following timeline highlights some of our recent work. Check it out, but most importantly get yourself on the timeline: give us a call and let’s get started!
- November 2013 -- Led a non-partisan, voter protection initiative in Northern Virginia, Richmond and Norfolk. We trained 58 poll monitors and staffed three regional command centers, with two attorneys at each location.
- August 2013 to November 2013 -- Reached out to 31,000 voters in Norfolk City, Richmond and Northern Virginia. We identified voters who supported issues close to our organizational mission and moved them to the polls.
- July 2013 -- Organized a candlelight vigil in support of immigration reform in Herndon. Over 250 supporters turned out for this event.
- May 2013 -- Celebrated May Day by organizing an immigration rally in Herndon. Over 200 supporters came out for this event.
- April 2013 -- Launched the New Majority Academy, where we trained 30 activists from Virginia and around the country in our approach to community organizing.
- March 2013 -- Worked with Wellstone Institute to train the next generation of community activists, campaign managers and progressive candidates.
- January 2013 -- Delivered over 18,500 signatures challenging a surprise Senate redistricting plan.
New Virginia Majority
3801 Mt. Vernon Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22305
Phone: (703) 684-5697
And in Richmond
4914 Radford Ave, STE 206,
Richmond, VA 23230
Phone: (804) 269-7848